Monday, October 2, 2017

Self-Portraits

DDE Literary Magazine
2017-2018

Our mission is to promote and share the creative endeavors of students at Dwight D. Eisenhower High School.

The students in Ms. Danielle Jones' Spanish 1 class created self-portraits after studying Frida Kahlo.  The students describe their portraits in Spanish with the English translation following it.  Literary Magazine is honored to share this work with a wider audience.

Portrait #1 by Melany Artega


Para mí, es una pintura un poco deprimente ya que se me hizo difícil dejar Venezuela, a mi mamá, amigos y familia. Yo de pequeña les decía a mis padres que me llevaran a vivir a los Estados Unidos y cuando me tocó de verdad no me sentía bien. Las palabras y comidas son típicas de mi país y las extraño. No nací y crecí en Venezuela. Yo amo Venezuela. Espero regresar a Venezuela.

For me, this is a slightly depressing painting because it was very difficult for me to leave Venezuela, my mom, my friends and my family. When I was little I used to tell my parents that I wanted to take me to live in the United States but then when I actually had to, I didn't feel so good about it. The words and foods are typical from my country and I miss them. I was born and raised in Venezuela. I love Venezuela. I hope to be able to return one day.

Portrait #2 by Christopher Reyes

La cosa que me influyó era mi cultura. Mucho de los símbolos en mi pintura era sobre mi sangre latina y estadounidense. Yo nací aquí pero mi familia es de México. Uno de los símbolos es la isla por mi corazón. Simboliza mi pueblo, Blue Island. Nací aquí en 2002 en el St. Francis.
What influenced me was my culture. Many of the symbols in my painting are about my Latin and American blood. I was born here but my family is from México. One of the symbols is the island that replaces my heart. It symbolizes Blue Island. I was born here in 2002 at St. Francis.

Portrait #3 by Kimberly Ibarra
En este autorretrato se presenta cuando mi equipo ganó nacionales de baile en Florida. Las emociones en la cara representan cómo me sentía durante todas las prácticas y las emociones de ser nombrados Campeones Nacionales.
This self-portrait represents when my dance team won Nationals in Florida. The emotions on my face represent how I felt during all the practices and the emotions of being named National Champions.

Portrait #4 by Melannie Aguillo

México para mí es hermoso, disfrutó mucho ir en las vacaciones porque dejo de usar mi celular y puedo salir a disfrutar afuera sin miedo. También me gusta mucho México porque toda la familia se junta y disfrutamos mucho en el tiempo que estamos allá. En el lado de los Estados Unidos puse edificios y humo saliendo de ellos. También escogí colores apagados porque cuando estoy en Los Estados Unidos me estreso mucho con la escuela y otras cosas. En el lado de México puse el cartel de Zacatecas porque me da mucho orgullo ser mexicana, y más de ser Zacatecana. También use muchos colores brillantes porque cuando estoy allá me olvido de todo.
Mexico for me is beautiful, I really enjoy going on vacations because I stop using my cell phone and I can enjoy going out without fear. I also love being in Mexico because all of my family gets together and we really enjoy our time together. On the US side, I put buildings with smoke coming out of them. I also chose darker colors because when I am in the U.S. I feel stressed with school and other things. On the Mexican side, I put the Zacatecas sign because I feel very proud to be Mexican, and even more to be from Zacatecas. I also used many bright colors because when I am there, I forget everything.


Portrait #5 by Rachel Valequez



Dibujé las dos banderas porque soy nacida en Estados Unidos, pero me identifico más con la cultura mexicana. Yo estoy en el centro porque parte de mi vida es estadounidense y la otra es mexicana. Solo tengo un ojo en el lado izquierdo porque no he ida a México. Me gusta la música y comida mexicana más que nada y espero poder viajar al país de mis ancestros algún día.
I drew two flags because I was born in the US but I identify more with Mexican culture. I am in the center because part of my life is American and the other part is Mexican. I only have one eye on the left side because I have never been to Mexico. I love the music and food of Mexico more than here and I hope to be able to travel to the country of my ancestors one day.

Portrait #6 by Yessica Calderon


Mi autorretrato lo dibujé para representar todo el coraje que abecés guardo adentro y no lo expreso. Luego hay momentos que nomás quiero explotar de coraje y estos eventos me inspiraron.

My self-portrait was inspired by all of the times that I have held my emotions in. There are times where I feel like I just want to explode out of anger. These emotions are what inspired me to draw it.


Portrait #7 by Ruben Gallego


Lo que la rosa representa es que la vida nunca se muere. Uno se muere, pero deja atrás algo bonito. La calavera que tiene la rosa en la cabeza representa cuando uno tiene cáncer. Uno empieza a perder el pelo poco a poco y el cáncer parece consumir hasta los huesos. Mi tía sufre del cáncer y lo bonito es verla luchando como campeona por tanto tiempo. Me dibujé a mí mismo ahogado de lo bueno y lo malo de la realidad. En la vida real hay muerte y enfermedad, pero es importante recordar que existe una vida después de la muerte.
The rose represents that life never really dies. One may die, but they always leave something beautiful behind. The skull with the rose on top represents when someone has cancer. One begins to love their hair little by little and the cancer seems to consume them until they are skin and bones. My aunt suffers from cancer and it is beautiful to see her fighting like a champion for so much time. I drew myself drowning in the good things and bad things of reality. In real life, death and illnesses exist, but it is important to remember that there is a life after death.


No comments:

Post a Comment