Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Short Story by Christian Carrillo, Senior

The Session

Christian Carrillo


“Monday 15, 2024, therapy session number 13. Patient has been waking up feeling restless for four weeks now,” Dr. Wick said into her voice recorder. “Deku, how did you wake up feeling this morning Deku?”

“Well, Dr. Wick not much has changed if I’m being honest,” I responded.

“Hmm, you don’t say” she said with uncertainty. “Well to be honest there should’ve been some type of progress or improvement by now,” Dr. Wick strongly expressed.

“Well what do you suggest we do now?” I said.

“I usually would never suggest this for one of my patients but this seems urgent,” she said with worry. “I’m going to give you a stronger medication and with this particular medication I have to give you a shot behind your neck to enhance the medication to help your sleeping issues,”

“Well, um, you’re the expert,” I said very anxiously.

Dr. Wick went to grab the needle and I could already feel sweat beginning to manifest all over my hands. “This is only going take one second I promise,” she said reassuringly. She inserts the needle and I feel myself begin to get light headed. “All done,” she giggled. My neck felt so numb and I felt as if there was some sort of little ball in there.

“Dr. Wick, is this lump going to stay here,”

“Oh don’t mind that, it should ease down in a few hours,” she said with a smile.

“Um, okay, thanks Doc I’ll see you Wednesday then,” I said excitedly.

“Yup, see you on the 17th, now go get some rest,” she said in a soft voice.

Before I left the small white office I looked outside the 12ft window looking down from the 27th floor. All I could think to myself was, “Wow, this is going to be the start of something new,” So I left the office and took the elevator down. I walked out into the loud and busy streets of New York, New York where everyone is always on their grind, hoping to be noticed and make it big.

My walk home was a short one since I only live 5 minutes away walking distance.
By the time I make it to my house I can already feel the medication kicking in. Not wanting to waste any time and ready to finally have a restful night of sleep, I start to get myself ready for bed. I go to turn off the lights in my already dark and dull room. As I walk towards my bed I feel myself getting heavier and heavier with every step I take. By the time I knew it, pitch black was all I saw.

“God, I feel even worse than before, what the heck type of medication was that,” I said to myself in the morning. The pain I felt on my head was worse than its been before.

“Ping—”  I get a video sent to me from an anonymous number. I open the video and, I see me! I see me, or at least a person who appears to be me. In the video there's a person in a dark empty street, dragging a tied up man and little girl into a hidden tunnel near an alley. He leaves the tunnel so nonchalant, as if he literally did not just drag two bodies into a tunnel. The video ends with him tripping and hitting his head on the curb.

Whoever this person is, must definitely be sick and needs to be turned in to the police right away. However I can’t help but think why this video was sent to me. Could that person be me? No that’s crazy. I don’t even have any type of recollection of this. If it were me though, that would explain why my head hurts so much. I know I’m definitely going to have to tell this to my psychiatrist on our next session.

I decide to play it safe and record myself that night. So I set up my camera in my room on the corner of the ceiling. When I looked at the footage in the morning I couldn’t believe my eyes. Sound asleep I am, then suddenly, I get up. Approaching the camera I look directly into the lense, smirk, and walk away with a wave before disappearing for nearly the entire night, and returning four hours later.

After watching that video I feel completely hopeless. Not knowing how any of this is possible and why I look so awake. Where did I go? What did I do? Why don’t I remember? Questions that cross back and forth through my mind. Now all of a sudden me being that guy in the video doesn’t seem like a crazy possibility after all.

“Ping—” I get a text from the same anonymous number. “If you wanna know the truth about everything you’re confused about, skip your therapy session today and meet me at the Dunkin’ Doughnuts down the streets from your house,”

“Who are you, and why should I trust you?” I asked him

“Look, be there at 6pm sharp, or I won’t be responsible for what happens next.” he responded.

Its five minutes til six and I’m standing inside Dunkin’ Doughnuts, when suddenly, I hear a deep voice come from behind me.

“Stop looking like a lost puppy and take a seat why don’t you,” he said with an aggressive tone of voice.

“Okay, okay, just promise me you won’t kill me,” I said with a shaky voice. “I still have a lot to live for.”

“Oh shut up you fool,” he said monotonically. “You’re making this more difficult than it needs to be.”

We take a seat in a small booth. He sits in front of me wearing a dark cloak and dark hat so big that it’s covering half of his face. When he removes his hat, he appears to be an ordinary man which took me by shock considering that Batman like voice.

“The names Joe, Joe Dingleberry,” he said seriously. “And you’re Deku Todoroki, Dr. Sonia Wicks’ patient.”

“Ha, Dingleberry” I chuckle under my breath. “Well I’m guessing an introduction isn’t needed,” I said with uncertainty. “Wait, how do you know my name and that I see Dr. Wick.”

“I used to work under Sonia as her assistant,” he said with disgust. “But she fired me because I didn’t agree with her ways.”

“Okay, so what does any of this have to do with me?” I said with confusion.

“Dr. Wick is up to something and I’m not sure what it is,” he said. “What I do know though, is it has to do with you. I believe she has something to do with why you’ve been having these issues with your sleep schedule.”

“Okay you have my attention keep talking.”

“She has a notebook. I took a peek at it one day while she was distracted and it said something about a shot that can make a person do anything that you could program them to do.” He said with worry.

“Wait, program?” I asked.

“Yes. The shot inserts some type of technological chip inside you that she can control from her end,” he explained. “Which is why I brought this.”

He pulled out a mini knife and took me to the alley behind Dunkin’ Doughnuts. At this point I already knew what he was going to do and just accepted it. He made a slight incision on the back of my neck and squeezed it like a pimple. Sure enough, he was right, there was a chip in there.

“When you see her this Friday the 19th you have to obtain that notebook from her.” He said gripping my shoulders and staring me deep in the eyes. “I was the one who took that video of you dragging the man and little girl into the tunnel. If we want to save them we have to make sure Dr. Wick is out of the way and we have evidence that you are innocent. Do you understand me?”

“Yes, I mean, I guess so.” I said perplexed.

“You have one day to rest up and think about how you’re going to do this because Friday is two days away. It’s now or never.” He said reassuringly.

I went home so confused and scared. Anxiety of the unknown has to be by far one of the most terrifying things. I decided to take his advice and take Thursday to rest up because Friday was going to take all I had to keep my composure.

Friday approached and I headed off to Dr. Wick’s building. I head up the elevator and make it to the 27th floor and that’s where everything internally takes a turn for the worst. As I approach her door my heart begins to beat as if I just finished running a marathon. I enter the room and I suddenly become as cold as death.

“What’s the matter Deku? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.” Dr. Wick said giggling.

“Oh nothing i'm just feeling a little under the weather today that's all.” I say softly.

“Ding—, Ding—” “Will you excuse me? I’m going to take this phone call real quick in the hallway, i’ll be right back.” She said with a smile.

That’s when I knew it was the perfect opportunity. I quickly run over to her desk to grab her notebook. The adrenaline runs through my body so much that I’m numb and my legs give out. I know this can’t be good because she’s going to be back any second. I crawl behind her desk and begin to get carpet burn on my knees and hand. I’m digging and digging through all her drawers when I finally find the notebook.
“BAM!” The door shuts, and my body is completely paralyzed. I look up and there she is, towering over me with a gun pointed at my face.

“Didn’t your mother ever teach you to respect a woman's privacy?” She asked.

“It’s over Sonia, I know you’re up to something evil and I’m going to take you down.” I said raising my voice.

“Evil? take me down? What are you a superhero? I don’t believe we’re in a Marvel or DC movie right now.” She said chuckling. “Now then, let’s get this over with.”

As she takes the safety off the gun everything begins to move in slow motion. This is it. If I don’t make a move now then I’m dead. I tackle her down from the legs and toss the gun by the door. She grabs a pen from the floor and tries to stab me to get off of her. Finally I get a hold of her hands and hold them down against the floor.

“You’re pathetic, once I kill you I’m going to tell the authorities how you tried to rape me and that you were very mentally ill.” She said with a struggle in her voice.

“You’re insane woman. I’m not going to let you get away with all the fraud that you’ve been putting up.”

Not knowing what else to do and knowing that I have to get that notebook back to the authorities, I punch her one good time in the head. At that moment I knew that I just bought myself some time. She was no longer moving. I check her heartbeat and to see if she’s still breathing and she is. I grab the notebook and quickly run over to the table to grab the voice recorder then I get out of the building as quick as possible.

“I got it! I got it! Where can I meet you?” I text Joe.

“This is great! But we have to act quick meet me at your house now.” He replied.

Finally, I make it back to the house to look through the notebook with Joe. All I can say is, this women had some serious problems. She was using me as a hitman to kill her husband and daughter so that way should could collect all the insurance money and move far away with her side man.

‘Oh shit! The man and little girl!” Joe and I yelled.

“We have to get to them ASAP it's been four days since they’ve been in that tunnel.” I said worriedly.

We ran over to the hidden tunnel by the alley. By the time we got to the man and little girl they were barely responsive. We called the police and ambulance to get the emergency medical attention. Once the paramedics got there they took the man and little girl to the emergency room right away. We explained everything to the police and gave them the voice recorder and notebook. I explained to them the physical altercation that I had with Dr. Wick and that I didn’t know if she was still going to be there. They took Joe and I into custody and drove us down to the the police station while they called another team of cops and detectives to check the crime scene.

“I don’t understand why they’re treating us like criminals we did nothing wrong.” I cried.

“Pull it together man this is standard crime procedure it’s just for our own safety.” Joe said laughing at me.

“But it’s dirty and cold in these cells plus I think that guy over there in the other one thinks I’m cute, he keeps winking at me.” I said fearfully.

After a few hours the police comeback and take us out those god awful cells. They pull me into an investigation room and ask me to tell them more about mine and Dr. Wick’s relationship. So that’s just what I did. A man in a white lab coat walks into the small small grey investigation room and makes himself known.

“Dr. Bridge, nice to meet you Mr. Todoroki. I’m so sorry for the trauma you have been through.” He said with concern. “I’m just going to run a few test on you to make sure everything’s okay. Fear not I’m one of the best psychiatrist in the United States.”

He ran test on me and I came out having dissociative amnesia. After that he prescribed me medicine and was going to check back in with me on Sunday the 19th.

I went home and turned on the television, shockingly the story about Dr. Wick was all over the news. I tuned the TV off and went to sleep. In the morning I felt a lot better, no headaches no soreness, so I decided to sleep in all of Saturday and take advantage of all the sleep I could get.

Sunday morning came around and I get a call from Joe. Not really wanting to be bothered by him ignore the call. He calls again and that's when I start to think maybe this might be serious.

“Hello?” I answer.

“Dude you’re not going to believe this!” He shouts through the phone.

“Just get on with it.” I say impatiently.

He tells me how he has connections with people in the police station and how he received some information about the Dr. Wick case. He told how when the police made it to her office they found her hanging from the ceiling with a suicide note beneath her feet. It read “That little fool got me there’s no point in running away it would be pointless. Just let my husband and daughter know that I never loved either of those degenerates.” He then told me that she had antisocial disorder and she wasn’t even a real doctor.

“As fascinating as this all sounds I really just want to leave it all behind me now.” I said. “I’m actually heading off right now to go see Dr. Bridge. I can't wait to thank him on the new medication, I’ve never felt better.”

“Well that sounds good for you buddy. I’m really happy you’re getting the proper care you needed.” Joe said sincerely.

“Joe, thanks for everything. I mean that. Considering the fact that you don’t even know me.” I said.
“No problem, see you around.”

The End.






No comments:

Post a Comment