Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Short Story by Janiya Foney, Senior

The Unexpected Package

by Janiya Foney


It was a sunny Monday morning, and I was actually in a great mood. I was currently lounging around my small two bedroom apartment. I had an 3 o’clock class in about thirty minutes and I needed as much time to relax as possible. The smell of lavender lingered around as I laid on the couch watching Greys Anatomy.

A knock on the door knocked me out of my thoughts. I paused the tv and went to answer the door, but when I opened the door no one was there. Just a big cardboard box, with my address and name on it. I didn’t think too much about it. It was probably all of those clothes I ordered online from Forever 21. I struggled to carry the heavy box inside, closing the door with my foot, I sat the box on the couch.

I ran into the kitchen and quickly grabbed a knife so I could open the box, I couldn’t wait to see these cute clothes. I haven’t been looking the best on campus lately. I quickly cut the tape and opened the box. I sat there confused and a little angry. “ These aren’t my clothes,” I said to myself as I looked at the box with hundreds of handwritten letters. I gently picked up one of the letters and begin to read it. This letter was addressed to me.

This has to be a mistake, I thought as I began skimming through all of the letters. These weren’t just regular old letters, they were love letters. Someone was confessing their love for me in these letters. They’d been describing moments when they saw me, what I was doing, even what outfit I’d had on. For some strange reason, I wasn’t a tad bit creeped out by this.

I sort of felt a connection to this person. I had to find out who this person was. Suddenly, my phone began buzzing, knocking me out of my thoughts. It was Julian FaceTiming me, I answered the phone to discover he also had Arianna on the phone.

“ What do you want,” I said to Julian playful.

“ Is that how you answer your best friend’s phone call,” he replied in a smart tone.

Arianna began speaking but was quickly cut off by Julian.

“ What are all of those papers next to you?” he asked.

I quickly pushed them to the side before responding, “nothing, I was just going through some old stuff”.

“ Well, like I was saying before I was rudely interrupted,” Arianna started. “ Me and Julian wanted to see if you wanted to go to lunch with us,” She said hopefully.

I sighed, getting sad. Ever since I started school and my new job, it’s like I never have time for them anymore. I hate bailing on them but I need to maintain my grades to keep this scholarship.

“ I can’t guys, I have a class in 15 minutes,” I responded sadly.  “ But I promise we’ll go somewhere this weekend,” I said hoping to cheer them up.

“ Fine….it’s a date,” Julian Said.

“ And you better not bail on us,” Arianna added.

“ Have I ever broke a promise before?” I replied.

Shortly after our phone call, I sat in class zoned out. The old classroom was completely silent. This was a small class with only about twenty people in it. The professor lectured on and on but I wasn’t paying attention. The only thing my mind could focus on was finding out who this secret admirer was.

The bell had finally rung, as I grabbed my books and walked out of class. I looked around at the different people as I walked through the yard. The weather had just began to get nice after days of rain. I watched as people walked around in summer clothing, talking amongst one another. The admirer had to be here. They knew the places I went after class, what I wore. It had to be someone here because I don’t go anywhere else.

I finally made it back to my apartment. I grabbed the box and brought it to my room. I sat in bed reading all of the letters. One in particular caught my eye.

I saw you again today. You looked so beautiful, you should wear your hair out more often. The way you smile, melts my heart. I’ve loved you since the moment we first spoke. I can’t wait for the day I can finally show you who I am, hopefully you’d accept me. Until next time my love.” - xo

This letter gave me one of the very first clues I needed. I’ve actually spoken to this person before. Even though I’ve spoken to a lot of people before, it was still a clue.

I was still so confused. Why was this person so interested in me? I’m plain, boring, and I have nothing great to offer.  

Over the next few days, I spent all of my free time reading the rest of the letters. I was stressing myself out trying to piece together some more clues.  

My phone flashed, indicating that I got a text. It was a text from Julian making sure that I was still going out with him and Arianna tonight. I began to panic trying to find something to wear tonight.

I’ve been so focused on the secret admirer, that I forgot that I agreed to go out with them.

I went through my closet, tossing all of the clothes around. It was already about 7 o’clock and it took me forever to get ready. I finally found a fitted black dressed that was perfect. I scurried out of my room, that now had clothes all over the place; I rushed into the bathroom and began to get ready.

About two hours later, I was finally ready. I grabbed my purse and left out of the door. Julian had already told me to meet them at an address. I didn’t recognize the address, but I trusted them and I’m sure it would be fun.

As I was driving, my mind couldn’t help but to drift off thinking about the letters. I hadn’t even told Arianna and Julian about them, because I don’t know how they’ll react.

The GPS signaled me to turn left as I began to drive down a dark, muddy road. “ What in the world,” I mumbled to myself. I finally came to a wooded area with a cabin before I put the car in park. I grabbed my phone to check and make sure I had the right address. I suddenly got a text from Julian that said “ In the cabin,”.

I slowly got out of the car and walked towards the cabin. It was awfully quiet as the sound of crickets and Cicadas were the only things heard. I could hear myself stepping on branches as I approached the door. I looked around nervously before knocking on the door. “ What are we doing here,” I thought to myself. Arianna opened the door and I walked inside. It was a small wooden cabin with a leather loveseat, and a fireplace in the center. There was a large furry rug and colorful fuzzy blankets laid on the couch.

I looked around before asking, “ Where’s Julian”.

“ He isn’t here,” she said quietly.

“ Of course he is...he just texted me,” I said confused.

She looked at me nervously before responding, “ That was me, I have his phone” she said showing me Julian’s phone.

I was so confused about the whole situation. Why is everyone acting so weird, all of a sudden? I was starting to get irritated. They begged me to come out with them and now they’re acting strange.

“ What’s going on Arianna,” I asked seriously.

“ It’s me,” she said quietly with her head down.

“ What’s you, what are you talking about?” I asked dumbfounded.

“ The letters…...it’s me,” she said before looking up at me.

My begin to beat rapidly. It all made sense! The personal details….the clues...it’d been my best friend all along. I’d develop feelings for the person in the letters, but I didn’t know it’d be her.

I looked at her not knowing what to say. This is the last person I expected. I never even had feelings for a girl before.

“ Look, I know you like dudes but don’t you feel it?” She started.

“ Feel what?” I asked.

“ The connection between us,” she said hopefully.

What was I going to say, I never looked at Arianna as more than a friend. I didn’t want to hurt her feelings, but I couldn’t be in a relationship with her. I was too focused on my job and school right now. I didn’t have time for a relationship. What did she see in me anyway?

I stood there contemplating with myself in my head. It’s her, the person I fell for in the letters. I didn’t want to get in the way of my own happiness, but we couldn’t be together.

“ I’m sorry Ari,” I said with tears in my eyes. “ I can’t be with you…..I love you, but not in that way,” I told her.

She looked at me sadly.

“ I don’t even have time for a relationship right now,” I said.

She stood there with tears in her eyes. She didn’t say anything for awhile before she finally spoke.

“ I understand,” she said.

I reached out to hug her, “ I don’t want this to get in the way of her friendship” I said to her.

“ It won’t,” she said hugging me.

Over the next few weeks I tried reaching out to Arianna, but I got no response. When me and Julian hang out she finds an excuse not to come. Me rejecting her had come in between me and one of my closest friends. I decided to leave it alone, and let her reach out when she’s ready. I’ve been focusing on trying to make more time for the people close to me, and not letting school and work consume my life. Spending time with the people I love is what’s going to make me happy.





















No comments:

Post a Comment