Thursday, May 10, 2018

Poetry Selections from Shawn Hoekstra, Senior

World Peace

Slam Poem


Why must people kill for no reason, is it
Because they can? Is it because of race?
Is it because they don’t get what they want?
What if the guns were put down? What
If we just come together as one? If
We come together the killing will be done.
We can solve problems together. Terrorism
Wouldn’t exist. No more innocent lives lost.
But the toll on their families is the real cost.
We have one planet, one world. If we the people
Of this planet unite as one, peace will spread
Throughout and killing won’t be necessary anymore.


Eulogy



My dad's passing will not be forgotten.
The day of July 25, 2014 will forever be known as the saddest day of my life. He would always be there to turn a bad day into a good one. I’m happy to have spent the time that I did with him. Maybe if we caught on to the symptoms sooner, you would still be in my life. I remember him saying “I want to see you graduate”, but it was to late, so dad if you’re listening I’m graduating for you.
The doctors never let me see him on his death bed, the doctors thought the state of my dad would traumatize me. I often think how life would be if he was still with us but sadly that’s not the reality.
He always put a smile on my face when he walked into the room. He taught me has life is lived and how to mature for my family. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be the way I am today. I came such a long way because of him. He will forever be in me and my family's heart. He always cared about the family. He would work so hard just to put food on the table and to make us happy. There will never be a person like him. I had the best memories with him and the rest of my family.
I wish the doctors let him rehabilitate longer than he did so he could at least walk, but that was not the case. At least we could spend some time with his family before he passed.
I just wish he could see me now.
I hope he would be proud.
I tried my best to be the best person I could be because of him.
The best thing to do now is to live on his legacy. Pass the kindness that be gave to me to other people in the world to enjoy also.
So Rest In Peace Dad, you meant a great deal to me and still do till this very day.
Everyday he is on my mind. Sometimes I imagine hearing his voice again and it makes me smile. I love you so much. You were there for me when no one else was. You taught me to be the best person I can be and you inspired me to live my life each and every day.  
Me and my family stay strong, it’s what he would want.
He would be happy with the way we’re handling ourselves.
He would do just about anything to make me happy.
He was there to protect me in my time of need.
He was always willing to give a helping hand when needed.
You were such an amazing figure to this family, you would do anything for us and we’re truly grateful for the things you did.
I remember the walks we used to take and the times you brought me to the park. When times were tough and we had to go to the food pantry and scavenge cans, you were there to give our family hope. He stopped us from crying and reassured us that things will get better and the hard time we’re going through will end.
I remember when I was young, you protected me from the monsters in my room.
Dad, we’re always thinking about you and we’re staying strong.
Thank you for being there for the family, you will forever be in our hearts,
Rest In Peace.
You will never be forgotten.
Thank You for being my Dad.
You changed my life for the better and I’m truly grateful for that.

                                                                       






No comments:

Post a Comment