Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Short Story by Kayla Giordani

The Vacation

by Kayla Giordani



Today marks two months I have been sealed behind these doors of Racken Valley Rehabilitation home. It was 8am and I only gotten 4 hours of sleep. The sheets were rough and my pillow was as thin as a slice of bread. I roomed with Margette, she wasn’t the most recommendable roommate. She was short with blonde hair and her feet smelled like pickles. She snored in her sleep and occasionally farted. I asked to which roommates but they weren’t going for what.


“No switching roommates ma’am!” the lady at the front desk would yell.


I sat at the end of my bed for 5 minutes. I would then brush my teeth and brush my hair so I could get dressed. I always shower the night before.


Breakfast was the best meal they served here. The buttery pancakes and fluffy eggs were my go to. I sipped on my orange juice slowly. I would always try to eat as fast as I can, though I wanted to savor my meal. Margette always comes rushing to my table with the exact same thing but double.


“Well, isn’t this a swell morning, Hey! Did you read my mind,” as she looked back and forth at her plate then mine.


“Yes I totally read your mind,” I said sarcastically.


“I knew it!” she laughed hysterically. Her teeth were dark yellow and every other tooth was almost crooked.


Margette always meant well but she was just really annoying.


Last year Margette lost her children because of her drug habits. She had an abusive husband who beat her and her kids. One time she tried to take her kids and runoff but he caught her and almost beat her to death. Once she lost her kids she started using, the hard stuff. I always felt bad for her, she always talked about her kids. They sounded really lovely. She has been her 9 months and she didn’t plan on leaving.


“Hey, you know if we wait until everyone leaves they’ll leave out the leftovers,” her yellow crooked teeth grinned at me.


“I’m all full, but thanks”.


“Ahhh more for me then,” she rubbed her stomach.


I dumped my plate into the garbage and went to freshen up for our morning meeting.
The hallways were always quiet and at this time everyone’s room door was open for morning inspection. For the two months I’ve been here I didn’t really speak to anyone. The only one I acquainted with was Margette. The others girls were stuck up, the boogie stuck up and I never got that considering the fact that we were in a rehab home. They always stared at my hair, it hanged to my mid back and the red always reflected off the light. My biggest fear was one of them coming and cutting it in the middle of my sleep. The girls here weren’t that great looking. Everyone had a flaw, not saying I don’t but I could see why they would want to pound me in my sleep.


I walked further until I reached the doors of the meeting hall. The room was fairly small. Total capacity was about 10 included the therapist. There wasn’t many girls in our group. The room smelled like old paint and the chairs where in assorted colors.
I was always the first person in the room. I walked over to grab some coffee and sat in an empty chair until the meeting started.


I was almost through with my coffee when I heard the other girls down the hall. They walked in whispering and sat across from me. I didn’t pay them any mind.


“Well Good Morning my ladies, are we ready to start.” Miss Olsen was wearing a long skirt that reached her ankles and a creme shaw that complemented her complexion. She was always happy, but I guess that was part of her job.


“How are we today.” She grinned


Everyone smiled, more of a fake smile.


“Okay, well who would like to start.”


“I spoke to Lisa and Daniel today.” Margette spoke shyly.


I looked at Margette in happiness


“That’s wonderful,” Miss Olsen said.


“Daniels voice got really deep.” She snorted.


“One step closer, let’s snap for Margette”.


Everyone snapped as Margette fidgeted in her chair.


“Anyone else?”


“How about Elizabeth, I hear she thinks she’s too good for these meetings,” said one of the girls rolling their neck.


I didn’t say a word until Miss Olsen insisted I share throwing a wink at me to ignore the other girls.


“Umm, where should I start,” I said nervously.


“Wherever you’d like.” Miss Olsen smiled.


I began to talk and the energy in the room changed.


I would remember that day for the rest of my life. The wind blew lightly and the sun shined bright. I was wearing a swimsuit top and bottoms with a white fishnet cover up.


“One Margarita please.”


“Sure,” said the server.


“Starting off early huh” his eyes were light brown and he wasn’t wearing a shirt. The oil on his body glisten and his pretty teeth smiled at me.


“Never too early”, I chuckled.
“Jake.”


“Elizabeth,” I said as I shook his hand.


“Vacation”?


“Uh huh, treating myself before I have to go back to work in a couple of weeks. This is the only time I get to myself and you?”


“On a business trip you can say.”


“Oh really what do you do”


“I’m in the marketing business, just looking for a catch.”


“Well enjoy the rest of you vacation,” I picked up my glass and started to walk towards the pool area when he followed me and asked me if I had any plans that night. I insisted no and we planned to go and see a band and have some drinks.


It was cool out by the lake and the wind blew through my long hair and the smell of his cologne blew back at me as he walked in front of me. We found a seat in the crowd and talked for hours as the band played. We were the last ones at our table and all I could remember was Jake staring into my eyes as if they were going to wander off. He asked a lot of personal questions, I didn’t pay any mind to it because I thought that’s what people do when they want to get to know someone.


That night was really relaxing after the drinking and talking I couldn’t remember much after that. The night went so peaceful I didn’t care what ever else was going on.


The next morning I woke up to the sound of beach waves and the smell of fresh air. This was my suite so I figured I was with Jake.


“Good Morning beautiful.”


“Thanks,” he handed me a platter with fresh hot pancakes, eggs and some bacon and a tall glass of orange juice.


“It’s room service, I figured after last night you need to start your morning off right.”


“And what exactly did we do last night” I said almost choking on my food.


“Well we had quite a few drinks and i guess you’re not the drinking type, you nearly ruined my two hundred dollar sandals by throwing up everywhere.


“OMG I’m so sorry.”


“It’s cool I’m got plenty”, he said and chuckled.


I ate my breakfast slowly I thought it was really nice. I looked around the suite and I didn’t see any of my things. The suite was very empty, it was like he was on vacation for a couple hours.


“Hey do you know where my things are”.


“Um I believe you didn’t come with anything but I’ll look around.”


“This is where you began to sense something strange?” Miss Olsen asked


“Yes, I wanted to leave but he gave me the impression that there’s was no way I was leaving that suite.”


“It’s getting kind of late I think I better head back to my suite but thank you for a good night and of course the breakfast.”
“You can’t leave now, in fact I can’t let you leave.”


He reached into his pocket and dialed a number. “Yes, I have her”. My heart began to pump fast.


“You have who! What is going on?” My palms were sweaty and my heart was racing he started to pack a big duffle back and I could see my purse.


“Can I get my purse I really need to get back to my suite.”


He threw a black jacket, a wool hat, some sneakers, and a pair of grey sweat pants.


“Put in on!” He yelled loud.


I refused to put it on and after that everything went blank.


The next thing I was in a place I had never seen before. The walls were filthy and it smelled of piss. I could hear people talking in French in the hall. After that I woke up in a hospital bed. The nurses had to tell me how I ran in the hospital soaked from the rain and blood dripping god knows where. I was on three different drugs and had an infection due to being to three different countries. Jake on the other hand wasn’t Jake. His real name was Louzoo Columbi he was from France and his “marketing” business was sex trafficking and drug extortion. I don’t know where he is now but at night I sometimes have trouble sleeping . I have the fear that maybe one day he will find me or something like this could happen again. And that’s why I am here.
The room was silent and the girls that sat across from me starred.


“Thank you for sharing.”


“No thank you,” I insisted.


There was a light knock on the door.


“Sorry to interrupt, Elizabeth you have a visitor”


I walked down the hall and into the waiting room. There was a man wearing a long coat facing the tv.


“Can I help you”


The man turned around. I jaw dropped I could recognize that grin anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment